I would first try putting your function call to reloadWindow() in the
complete callback for the $.post function. So your post code would
look like:

$.post( "includes/update.php", { action: "y" }, reloadWindow);

and take out the call to reloadWindow() after updateSession()

You may have other backend issues, but i would try this first.