I don't know how you should prepare the data. That was just example code.

Are you using $(selector).load(...)? You know that already has an optional
callback function:

http://docs.jquery.com/Ajax/load#urldatacallback

Inside the callback, 'this' is the element you loaded the HTML text into, so
you could use $(this).children() or other functions to get to the elements
you loaded into that element.

I don't know what else to tell you without knowing more specifics of what
your data is, how you're getting it, and what you're doing with it.

-Mike