Because filesize is at a premium, and not enough people (80-95%) need this
feature almost every time they use jQuery (80-95%). That's the point of
plugins. I wrote something on the subject some time ago, and I think it sums
it up well. See

http://groups.google.com/group/jquery-en/msg/0ca254effd0acd00

"
> Also, I agree this should be in the core of jQuery.

I have found the jQuery project to be quite consistent in adding plugins to
the core when they are so widely used, that nearly everyone is including
them along with jquery.js, so that the addition is natural and welcome.
This
means lots and lots of people, over a long time, and puts the onus where it
should be, on the plugin author.

Look at the recent addition of the dimensions plugin (most in v1.2, the
rest
in v1.2.5). For over a year, this has been one of the most requested plugin
additions to the core. So many sites and other plugins use it, it no longer
made sense for it to not be in the core. It's a model that keeps the core
lean, and gives users as much a vote as to what goes into jQuery as any
member of the dev team. Beautiful.
"

In this specific instance you can either include effects.core.js from jQuery
UI, which as Charlie pointed out, contains this feature, or the standalone
color plugin:

http://plugins.jquery.com/project/color

Easy enough for anyone that needs this, and doesn't burden all the people
that don't. This is just one example. There are many others, such as:

(not exhaustive and in no particular order)
* history
* cookie
* metadata
* bgiframe