To add to this:
  I know I can use the callback argument of the fadeOut method.
However, I would like to avoid adding that callback argument to the
method I am testing which calls fadeOut. It seems weird to add a
parameter just so I can test the method.

http://visionmedia.github.com/jspec/ and "Spies" might be key. It
seems that would require a jquery object be passed into the method I
am testing as opposed to the name of the thing I am binding to. In
fact, that may be more flexible and better anyway.

Is there a best approach that JSpec/jQuery users use when testing
something which happens over time like fadeOut() as opposed to hide()?

Thanks.