If you have large images, they would take longer to load. No way around that. One thing you can do to avoid having the images "span down the page" is to add a style declaration for them in your stylesheet: position:absolute; I believe the cycle plugin sets the cycled elements to position:absolute as a safeguard in case it hasn't been done in the css already, but you should really do that yourself in the stylesheet. Also, make sure you set the container element to position: relative (if it's position: absolute, you can keep it that way) and set its overflow property hidden and give it explicit height and width. You still might see images loading one after the other, but at least they'll be overlapping, confined within the same space as dictated by the height and width of the container element. There are ways to get around this last issue, too, but first see how my suggestions so far work for you.

--Karl

Karl Swedberg
www.englishrules.com
www.learningjquery.com