Depending on your clients navigators you may use inline-block positionning
(works fine with Firefox 3.xx, Opera, Safari ; works with Firefox 2.xx with
a few tweaks, works IE7 with a bit more tweaking but ultimately ok), or
floating positioning if you really are forced to be IE6 compliant (though
that'll probably be a massive headache to get it working fine).

Michel Belleville