If your <script> tag that loads jQuery is immediately followed by another
<script> tag that calls noConflict, there should be no race conditions.

You're not putting the noConflict call inside a $(document).ready() or the
like, are you? It should be directly executed in a <script> tag:

<script type="text/javascript" src="my.jquery.js"></script>
<script type="text/javascript">
    var jq = jQuery.noConflict();
</script>

-Mike