I tried echo json_encode($tweets);
and still no callback function. The XMLhttp response header looks like
this:

Date    Mon, 09 Nov 2009 00:57:25 GMT
Content-Type    text/html
Connection      close
Server  Apache
X-Powered-By    PHP/5.2.1
Expires Thu, 19 Nov 1981 08:52:00 GMT
Cache-Control   no-store, no-cache, must-revalidate, post-check=0, pre-
check=0
Pragma  no-cache
Content-Length  20283

Is the Cache-Control setting of no-store, no-cache a possible problem?

Regards,

Arnie