Is there some reason you don't want to put this onclick event in a script
tag in the head section? Like,

    <head>
        <title>Test Page</title>
        <script src='jquery.js' type='text/javascript'></script>
        <script type="text/javascript">
            $(function() {
                $('a.detailLink').click(
                    function(event) {
                        //stop the events default action - stops click.
                        event.preventDefault();
                        //stop propagation so the event doesn't bubble up.
                        event.stopPropagation();
                        //run custom function.
                        cutsom_function(parameters);
                    }
                );
            });
        </script>
    </head>
        <a id='link1' class="detailLink" href="#">More Details</a>

HTH,

Joe