Folks,
Got to the bottom of this. Here is the most important lesson I learnt from
banging my head against the wall for 24 hours and almost jumping out of my
window in frustration:

It is absolutely critical to include JS files in the correct order. Any
deviation, and strange things happen. The magic order for me was as
described in the JQuery UI integrations Wiki entry:
http://www.trirand.com/jqgridwiki/doku.php?id=wiki:jquery_ui_intro
http://www.trirand.com/jqgridwiki/doku.php?id=wiki:jquery_ui_intro

Now for my specific questions:

Post process data: If you don't want to mess with loadonce, setup a handler
for loadComplete. See
http://www.trirand.com/jqgridwiki/doku.php?id=wiki:events Events
Local search / sort: set loadonce to true
Go to server only on pagination: Toggle loadonce on pagination requests. I
haven't tried this firsthand just yet.

Hope this helps someone.
-Raj