It depends on your method of validation. Here is the form/validation
system I use for my contact form. Hope this helps!

<script type="text/javascript" src="js/jquery-1.3.2.min.js"></script>
<script type="text/javascript" src="js/jquery.validate.js"></script>
<script type="text/javascript" src="js/jquery.form.js"></script>
<script type="text/javascript">

$(document).ready(function() {

        $("#contactForm").validate({
                rules: {
                        fullname: {
                                required: true,
                                minlength: 2
                        },
                        email: {
                                required: true,
                                email: true
                        },
                        company: {
                                required: true,
                                minlength: 2
                        },
                        phone: {
                                required: true,
                                minlength: 2
                        },
                },
                messages: {
                        fullname: '<span class="error">Please enter your
<b>full name</b>.</
span>',
                        email: '<span class="error">Please enter a valid
<b>email address</
b>.</span>',
                        company: '<span class="error">Please enter your
<b>company</b>.</
span>',
                        phone: '<span class="error">Please enter your <b>phone
number</b>.</
span>'
                },
                submitHandler: function(form) {

                        $('#contactForm').ajaxSubmit({
                                resetForm: true,
                                target: '#success',
                                success: function() {

$("#success").fadeIn('slow').fadeTo(5000, 1).fadeOut('slow');

</script>

<form id="contactForm" method="POST" action="process.php">

//FORM GOES HERE

</form>