Sorry for the delay.
1: More details: I created a page with tabs, and in some tabs I might
have some elements that can produce events by them selfs. As a
reaction to some events in some cases, I needed to close a tab. I
could not now the index of the tab that was containing the obect that
produced the event. BUT: I realised that my object is allways a child
element of the div that is a tab panel, so the tab index can be
obtained searching the index of the object's parent.

2: I was looking for this code:

var tabIndex = $("#tabs>div").index(targetObject.parentNode);
if (tabIndex != undefined && tabIndex > 0) {
        $("#tabs").tabs('remove', tabIndex);
        $("#tabs").tabs('select', 0);
}

Thanks for the interest.