Well it's actually a very simple / basic effect...
You could have a div with background image and have some text div over it
which is hidden by default and on mouse hover simply show / make that div
appear using any of the various jquery-ui effects available...and make it go
away (hide it) when the mouse goes out...

Thanks & Regards,
Dhruva Sagar.