> What I'm trying to do is update a second select box with options that
> are specific to options in the first box

So why not use $("#parentMenu").val()  ??  that will give you the
value of the selected <option>  (or $("#parentMenu
option:selected").text() if you need the text) to drive the second
select box

> You wrote " >option['parentMenu'] "... what is this notation called?

From:
http://docs.jquery.com/Selectors/attributeHas#attribute

"Matches elements that have the specified attribute"