if the empty h3 tag exists in the DOM you can test the length of text within it.

using theoretical class of "postDiv" loop through all the postDiv h3's:

$(".postDiv h3").each(function() {  // "each" loops through all matching selectors one at a time
          if( $(this).text().length==0 ){  // "this" refers to the individual h3 that is currently within the "each"
             $(this).closest(".postDiv").hide() // 'closest" looks up through parents to find match

mockaccino wrote:
Hi, I'm a newbie to the concepts of programming let alone query and I
was wondering if this was possible.

I've got a Wordpress site that has a h3 tag nested inside a div. The
problem is that a post is removed everyday which leaves the h3 empty
but the div is still there taking up real estate making the columns
uneven. So im thinking that there must be something like "if h3 is
empty, hide div.class"whatever"...

My embarrassing lame attempts don't work and i was wondering if
someone can a tleast point me to the right function to try write
something around.

Thanks for taking the time to read this post.