There could be many ways to do that. If only you put in a little thought to
it :).

This is one of the ways, I am sure this is not the best way, but it surely
should meet your demands.

$("#btnTraffic").click(function(){
        var tr_id = "#trafficLight";
        if ( $(tr_id).css('background-color') == 'red' )
             $(tr_id).css("background-color","yellow");
        else if ( $(tr_id).css('background-color') == 'yellow' )
             $(tr_id).css('background-color', 'green');
        else
             $(tr_id).css('background-color', 'red');
});

Thanks & Regards,
Dhruva Sagar.