Yes, that's exactly what I want to accomplish. I tried your suggestion
below, but it doesn't work.

When I remove the background color definition from the '.sf-menu a'
item, all menu items have a transparent background. No matter what
colors I specify in the '.sf-menu li' items, they don't have any
effect--even changing the top-level 'li' item from transparent to
another color doesn't have any effect.

I'm trying to get the 404 error fixed, but it only affects the main
landing page. You can see the site by going to theratrike.com/
home.html instead.

Thanks for your help.