Adam-241 wrote:

> I'm working on getting what should be a simple rollover effect done in
> jquery, and it works like a charm in firefox and safari, but IE is not
> having any of it.
> the problem seems to be that the layered divs I'm using to capture the
> user's mouseover event are empty, and IE is very unhappy about it. Put
> some text in there, and IE will accept that if you're hovering over
> the text specifically, but nowhere else. Put a giant border on the
> DIV, IE will respond when you hover over the border. Putting an image
> in there gets it to behave appropriately, but transparent pngs or gifs
> won't work, since IE5.5/6 doesn't support image transparency on any z-
> index other than 0 (at least to my knowledge).

This is an old thread, but it came up first in my search, and I suspect
others are still struggling with this. My solution for IE6 (still haven't
tested in 7 or 8) was to give the empty trigger div a css background image,
like so:

background: transparent url(images/dot.gif) no-repeat;

The image is a transparent gif. Thought I was done with those a long time
ago. It also worked for me if I used a non-existent image, and I suspect it
might work if the image was simply positioned outside of the div.

Hope this helps.

Jeff