when you do $('input[id$=9]').is(":checked"), an array of all matched
elements is returned.  So you can do this:

   var checkedNAItems = $('input[id$=9]').is(":checked");

and that should should get you an array of all elements.  from there,
you can loop through them and extract the info you need with .attr
("id") and a substring() for each item.

or you can keep to the jquery goodness and use the each function:

  $('input[id$=9]').is(":checked").each(function (notApplicableItem)
{

    var idNumber = notApplicableItem.attr("id");
    var firstPortion = substr(0,idNumber.length-1);

  //do more stuff

  });

i'm just typing this out and it's not been tested, so this code'll
prob not work, but you get the idea.

hope that helps!