Ok, what I gave you was a simple example.

Lets analyse a little more and lets see what you want exactly.

1. you want a list of parent items with + signs before them.
2. when these parent items are clicked you want your content to slide fade
down or slide fade up depending on their current state
3. you say you have a small script that does filtering. could you show me
the HTML output of this script So i could help you integrate it easier.
4. theres many ways to skin a cat :) they may not all be pretty but they
still work. I will. show you my way after you read through this list and
responded.