I got it, here it's how my code looks like:

 $("ul.menu").supersubs({
            minWidth:    10,   // minimum width of sub-menus in em
units
            maxWidth:    25,   // maximum width of sub-menus in em
units
            extraWidth:  1     // extra width can ensure lines don't
sometimes turn over
        }).superfish({
            animation: {height:'show'},   // slide-down effect without
fade-in
            delay:     500               // 1.2 second delay on
mouseout
        });

It was the animation: {height:'show'}, that did the trick.