Erik R. Peterson wrote:
Hello everyone,

Someone wants me to use FULL DIRECTORY PATHS for every page and script for a website I just
completed.  I argued that it would slow down the website for users...  I prefer relative paths such
as "/src/" and "/img/".

Am I wrong to say this?

Is there really a difference in performance with speed whether I use absolute
or relative paths?

Love to hear your opinion...

Thanks.

Erik

BTW - the website was transferred from WINDOWS SERVER to a UNIX...  I actually
preferred Windows.  I'm dealing
with a Network Admin that doesn't know web design...

Using relative paths is the way to go, otherwise moving the site or changing a domain name will cause you tons of extra work (tell your client you'll have to charge more down the road if they ever change the domain name). It won't make a difference speed-wise, though.

Note that most Unix systems are case-sensitive (I know Linux is, but Mac OS X isn't). So always use lowercase for all your filenames, folders and links.
http://www.example.com/jQuery.js is not the same as
http://www.example.com/jquery.js

Jonathan
--