I was sure that drag & drop from the jQuery UI wouldn't work on events
that are added dynamically to the dom.

But I found this thread which says to use '.live('mouseover')' to get
it to work, and it seems drag works like a charm.

Droppable, I can't seem to get the simplest of 'alerts' after an item
has been dropped. Any suggestions?

<pre>
jQuery('div.shift').live('mouseover', function(){
        jQuery(this).draggable({ axis: 'y', containment: 'table' });
        jQuery(this).droppable({
                                         drop: function(){
                                         alert('dropped');
</pre>