When I started writing reusable plugins at work, I've read a couple of
tutorials first, but then found this one:

http://www.learningjquery.com/2007/10/a-plugin-development-pattern

All my plugins since then are based on that pattern, and I strongly
felt I've understood every little nuance of why the pattern was like
it was. For me, it really is *the* reference on best practices for
jquery plugin patterns.

The only line that is outdated on that 2+ year old article is the one
about how to include the metadata-plugin (which I strongly recommend).

Original in the article:
var o = $.meta ? $.extend({}, opts, $this.data()) : opts;

Updated line:
var o = $.metadata ? $.extend({}, opts, $this.metadata()) : opts;