Thanks very much for your reply.

OK following your advice I tried the following

$('form#assignUsersForm').submit(function() {
        alert("submit fired");
        $('select#assignedUserList option').each(function(i) {
                alert("each fired");
                $(this).attr("selected", "selected");

Added the elements form & select selectors and the alerts. All works
as it should in FF and others but still not in IE7 & 6

the submit function isn't getting fired so the each never gets a
chance.

Ill put together a working example so you can see the full thing.

Thanks, Richard