The error I see is on this line:

setTimeout('chatHeartbeat();',chatHeartbeatTime);

Instead of passing a string as the first arg to setTimeout, pass the
actual fn reference:

setTimeout(chatHeartbeat, chatHeartbeatTime);

When passing a string it will be evaluated in the global context.  But
your chatHeartbeat fn is not defined in the global context.  And as a
matter of style and performance, it is better to pass the fn ref
anyway.

Mike