I am working on a page here: www.zacharybell.net
The "read more" link uses jQuery to fadeIn text that is already there and
then (here's most of the problem) it should also fadeOut the "read more"
link.  On my development environment, the script works great, on every
browser, including IE7/8.

On the production server, as you can see for yourself at the url above, the
fadeOut doesn't actually work.  It just runs the timer and then vanishes all
at once (the timer is set really long, just to illustrate).  Also, something
is inserting a touch of extra space between paragraphs when the script is
done.  None of this happens on my development box, not even on IE7/8.
Wordpress powers everything, which is why I used explicit jQuery calls,
instead of $

Any help?