I was having this problem with jquery-ui-1.8rc1.custom.min but found a
quickfix solution and the cause of the problem, but I'm not quite sure what
the real fix is.

The problem:
The fx: calls inside the .tabs call: $().tabs({ fx: { opacity: 'toggle' }
});

The solution:
Remove all fx: calls so your tabs call may look something like:
$('#foo').tabs(); where #foo is your tab div id

This immediately solve the page "jumping to top" issue for me.

So... the fx somehow are manipulating too much of the DOM and are causing
the page to want to semi-refresh, thus causing the browser the jump back to
the top.  The trouble is, I like the effects!  jQuery's fadeIn and fadeOut
functions do not cause this same issue, so something is a little messed up.
I took a look at the code (in a minified version) and didn't have the time
to start messing with it to find a solution.  If anyone comes up with one,
it would be much appreciated.

But at least there is a simple, quick solution.

Hope it helps!

-Kai