A couple of things to try. First, run phpinfo() and look through the
output for anything that could be filtering the output.

Second, try using double quotes or echo or print() in place of die()
and follow with exit.

die() does not escape html (at least not on my servers) so I suspect
that phpinfo() will show something that is filtering your output.

--
If you ask me if it can be done. The answer is YES, it can always be
done. The correct questions however are... What will it cost, and how