If you put your script block in the HEAD, that's exactly right, it'll need
to be inside a document.ready callback function. If you leave it in the
body, however, the script block simply needs to be moved *after* the input,
so that when the script is executed, the element exists in the DOM to be
found by jQuery.

- Richard