I can confirm this was the problem. My tab widget was in a jquery ui
dialog widget. The css class that describes widget (not sure exactly
what the class name is as I don't have the code here) sets the text
size to 1.3 em. Therefore the inner tab control was being set to 1.3 *
1.3.

Adding a css line underneath this one setting the font-size to 1em
solves the problem e.g.:

.widget .widget {font-size: 1em;}

This says for any widgets inside widgets don't increase the size any
more.

Hope this helps with your problem.