"About every hour or so" sounds suspicious and familiar.   Are you using 6.1 or
7.0?

Do you run any scheduled tasks on the hour?    Does it go down or stay at 99%
until you reboot?

We have ONE administrative scheduled tasks that CF does.... client variables.
If you have them in the registry and you have > 10,000 of them, the processing
of "expiring" 90 day old clients through the registry is CPU intensive.

If you could get a stack trace (technote 18339 -
http://www.macromedia.com/cfusion/knowledgebase/index.cfm?id=tn_18339) we could
at least see what's going on during the 99%.

You have to start JRun from the command line.

jrun -start default (6.1)
jrun -start cfusion or coldfusion (7.0 - depending on edition).

When you see it start to spike, set focus to the DOS Window (click the title
bar a few times and hit <NL>) and hit Control+(Pause/Break) (not control-C
which everyone does by instinct - that kills JRun).

If you can get me a stack trace during the 99% CPU (it will be difficult so
have your cursor over the Window and FOCUS on the DOS window ready to go.

Stephen Dupre
Macromedia QA