> It has a long history and wide support, but I'm not sure I think it's
> necessarily that great.

It provides a functionality that is not matched by any existing
proposal or implementation.
I gave one example of a creative use for it that helps solve a
problem, augmenting native prototypes,
that has plagued modern JS frameworks for years. Seems great to me.

> I fear it'll stay around, but I hope it will be banished from Harmony.

Banishing this could break the web (note current browser/device/
platform support and potential usage) and helps kill innovation.
I find that when devs want to banish a feature it's usually because
they
haven't taken the time to use it properly or creatively.

> Merely changing it into a method would be a great improvement.

I can dig it.

> Having a special property on all objects can get in the way of, e.g., using an
> object as a generic map. It's great that you can detach the prototype,
> so you don't inherit spurious properties, but then you have to special-
> case if the user uses "__proto__" as a key.

Using an object as a generic map is full of other gotchas than that of
__proto__ and certainly isn't a strong enough reason to "banish" it.
To solve this issue as well as others presented by IE I simply prefix
the property names burying it in the guts of a user friendly get/set/
unset method.
In reality, stepping away from the hypothetical, there hasn't been an
outcry of concern about not being able to set a property using the
double underscore pre/postfixed proto name.

> It would be great to have functions similar to Object.create that
> created objects of different [[Class]], e.g., Array.create.

Limiting the feature to Array.create is too restrictive a more generic
Object.<someHipMethodName> mechanism is better.

- JDD