On Fri, Feb 4, 2011 at 7:13 PM, Michael Haufe (TNO) <t...@thenewobjective.com
> wrote:

> If you want a consistent way to evaluate and "enforce" the type of
> individual values through the  instanceof operator, this would be the
> approach to use.

In that case, you'll rarely have a meaningful class that contains only a
single
numeric value, and even if you do, you can make a class for it instead of
using
a generic wrapper class.

> new String()  can also have some utility as with it you could simulate
> Mozilla's string indexing:
>
> var foo = new String("myString");  //where the constructor creates
> numeric members

That would then not be the default String constructor. I.e., you would have
a new class for that.

> foo[2]; //"S"
>
> Not saying that these are necessarily wise decisions, but they are
> examples of possible uses for primitive wrappers.

It's generally faster to access the characters directly on the primitive
string value, e.g.,
  var s = "myString";
  alert(s[2]);  // 'S'
instead of
  var s = new String("myString");
  alert(s[2]);  // 'S'
so I would prefer to not generally wrap strings just to support old
browsers.

/L