Extending is most useful in languages where function invocation is
constrained to the object hierarchy. In JavaScript there are no such
constraints, so you can simply wrap the 3rd party objects or invoke their
functions "in situe" with call or apply. I usually find either technique is
more future-proof and less spaghetti-prone than inheritance (no accidental
overrides, no oblique/changeable references like 'super', no need for mental
model of hierarchy)

This is just my experience - others may have different experiences