On Mar 10, 2:18 pm, Chris <chrisageo...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Also interesting:http://jsperf.com/if-with-i/5
>
> Accessing it without "caching" the object from the array in a variable is
> 94% slower.

In what browser? In my IE 6 the one that doesn't store the value is
faster (for your tests).

Anyway, your tests are faulty - the while with assignment in the
condition is 500 times faster in Firefox and a staggering 5,500 times
faster in IE. That should give you a hint something is wrong (there is
some optimisation occuring that can't be sustained).

I created some tests with random values in an array to prevent that
type of optimisation:

In IE 6, doing assignment in the condition is about 10% faster than
not, but in Firefox it is about 5% slower. So what you win on the
roundabouts you lose on the swings. And the speed of for, while and do
are all about the same, so no point in picking one over the other for
speed.

In any case, even my old IE is doing 3,500,000 iterations per second
(700 ops x 5,000 loops each) and Firefox about 20,000,000 (4,000 x
5,000) so loop speed is not really an issue.

--
Rob