Could someone point me to references that document the 'dynamic' properties
that Internet Explorer and other browsers add to the 'document' object.

For instance, if there is an element with an id of 'my_element' (<span
id="my_element">...</span>) you can access that element as a property of
'window.document' by doing 'document.my_element' in Internet Explorer. You
can also access certain elements that have a 'name' attribute in the same
manner.

I'm trying to convince some developers in my company that
'document.getElementById()' should be used instead because
'document.my_element' is 1) non-standard, 2) inconsistent across browsers,
and 3) is unpredictable due to potential collisions.

I'd like to share references/documentation to back up my case but have not
been able to find explanation of what different browsers are doing. Does
anyone know of good documentation of the behavior (primarily of Internet
Explorer, but other browsers would be helpful as well)?

So far, Garret Smith's 'Unsafe Names for HTML Form Controls' is the closest
to what I'm looking for (
http://www.jibbering.com/faq/names/extra_props_document.html), however it is
unspecific about behavior in different browsers.

Any help would be appreciated. Even suggestions on what terminology to use
to when searching for this information, since so far my searches have not
turned up much useful information.

Thanks!

Ben Barber