In reading about the JavaScript namespacing or module patterns, I
often see a step taken to avoid overwriting an existing object. For
instance, at Eric Miragla's description of the module pattern (http://
www.yuiblog.com/blog/2007/06/12/module-pattern/), he mentions that the
YAHOO.namespace() method "assigns an empty object myProject as a
member of YAHOO (but doesn’t overwrite myProject if it already
exists)."

I don't understand the utility of this - wouldn't it be better to
throw an error instead? Presumably, if you are trying to assign a
namespace that already exists, you were not aware of the prior
existence of that namespace, so that is a coding error that you should
be made aware of, and a signal to the script to stop further
execution. If you DID already know of the existence of this namespace,
I'd think you'd want a sort of "extend" method, NOT an assignment
method. In neither case does it make sense that the script should just
assume you knew what you were doing here and continue on. Am I missing
something?

Thanks!