I have just come across this example on how to handle events from
shapes rendered on a canvas element.

Seems the basic is working well, maybe you can take some ideas from
reading the source code.

    http://webcodingeasy.com/JS-classes/Emulate-events-on-canvas-objects

Let us know if you get that improved !

--