Fair enough. I meant using Object.create() on the constructor function
itself - not an object prototype.
I don't consider using the *new* statement to be a hack. In light of the
recent ES5 specification it could be considered a deprecated statement. To
be sure, the shim needed for Object.create to work on IE uses the
*new*statement itself... so it seems we're arguing style over substance.