I have seen Object.create(null) being used in numerous tutorials (e.g.
http://killdream.github.com/blog/2011/10/understanding-javascript-oop/),
but I don't understand what's the point of it. Are there situations where
it would be preferable to not inherit from Object.prototype?

var myObj = Object.create(null);  // sets __proto__ to null
var myObj = {};                              // sets __proto__ to
Object.prototype
var myObj = new Object();           // sets __proto__ to Object.prototype