Orion WebServer - http://orion.evermind.net

reference [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]] On Behalf Of Foster Bob
Sent:   den 8 maj 1999 06:36
To:     [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject:        Re: A Compatibility Proposal

Why have a taglib directive if there is no standard for tag extensions?

Obviously it's there because some JSP implementors were planning to
introduce their own non-standard tags (heck, they already have) and/or
wanted to jump the gun on extendable tag libraries.

This is a tricky situation, standards-wise. Given the thirst frequently
expressed here for more HTML-writer-friendly JSP pages, I'd guess people
will use these vendor-specific tags. Which could easily mean that pages
written for one implementation won't run on another, which is no standard
at all.

It is way more important to ensure this doesn't happen than to squeeze a
few more tags into JSP 1.0.

Given that everything can't happen overnight, Sun has chosen a sensible
middle ground. The taglib directive, together with the set of guidelines
for tags (rather quietly blended into the 1.0 spec) makes it at least
possible that pages using extended tags won't have to be rewritten to work
with JSP 1.1.

I'd expect Sun to be working closely with implementors to ensure that
"pre-release" tag extension mechanisms can work in other vendors'
implementations, and can easily conform to the eventual 1.1 standard.

Meanwhile, the right short term answer for friendly coexistence with HTML
designers is to develop a programming style that minimizes the amount of
raw Java in JSP files and makes maximal use of the standard tags that _do_
exist in 1.0.

Bob Foster
Symantec Internet Tools  http://www.visualcafe.com/

_________________________________
Author:  Scott Ferguson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> at Internet
Date:    5/7/99 5:30 PM

1.0 already has this.  That's the point of the taglib directive.   JSP
Implementations are perfectly free to implement their own tag extensions.

Granted, it's not standardized yet, but I'd rather the JSP team focus on
cleaning 1.0 up, shipping it, and then focusing on standard tags.

We've already waited far too long to get 1.0.  I really don't want to delay
1.0
until everyone gets their favorite feature added.

2.8.4 the taglib directive

"This directive declares that the page uses custom tags, ..."

Scott Ferguson
Caucho Technology