> Bob Foster wrote:

> The original "problem" was that the user set a quantity and did a
> POST. The
> user-visible result of the POST was evidently to redisplay the same page.
> Then the user changed a quantity and instead of hitting the submit button
> again, hit the back button.

Not exactly -- the user hits the submit button *again*, and then hits the
back button. Thus they are rightly expecting their quantities to be what
they changed them to the second time.

> After going through the awkward but irrelevant
> IE refresh dialog, the previous page was displayed with the previously
> entered quantity. Why is this a surprise? That's what the back
> button does.
> It's a user error.

As for it being a user error, I can't argue with you. However, it's an error
that many users might make; I'd like to save them the trouble. The fact
remains that on amazon's site, user's don't get what you accurately describe
as the "awkward but irrelevant IE refresh dialog." I'm just curious how they
(amazon, that is) manage it.