I did not find it difficult at all. It was a cakewalk.

Following book is real good for exam preparation. Author is part of JAVA
test preparation team. You will find lots of questions from this book in
exam. Sample tests in this book are very good for exam preparation. It is
around 500(?) pages book but 200 pages of reference at the end of this book
is waste of paper.

Java 1.1 Certification Study Guide
-Roberts, Simon/ Heller, Philip
Publisher: Sybex
Edition: Book & CD
ISBN: 0782120695

If you are planning to write the exam I suggest you do the following ..

1. Visit http://suned.sun.com/usa/cert_test.html?content=cjp11_obj  for
objectives.
2. Download Language Specification from bottom of
http://java.sun.com/docs/books/jls/ page. Check documentation on "objectives
of exam".
3. Read Java 1.1 Certification Study Guide that I mentioned above.

These helped me allot and I am sure it helps anybody.

Good luck.

- Srinivas