Helena

Your are mixing different things, there are three stages :

1) Web Servers supporting natively the servlet API :
All the 100% java Web servers :
- JWS from Sun
- JigSaw from the W3C
- Jetty from MortBay and so on...

2) Add-ons allowing a classical Web server to support the servlet API:

- servletexec
- Jrun
- EZrunner
- Apache Jserv (devoted to the Apache Web server)

For example, if you run a IIS on a NT box, you'll want to add Jrun to be
able to use servlets on your set up

3) JSP Support
===============

To get JSP support you must have
a) a Web server supporting the servlet API (been a native support or a via
add-on support)
b) a special package

There are several packages for JSP support, the most popular are
GNUJSP (support JSP spec 0.91)
SUN JSP (support JSP spec 1.0)

An exception (AFAIK) is the last release of Jrun that include JSP 1.0 support

The stuff is a little be more complicated by the level of servlet API support

JSP spec 0.91 (and 0.92) requires Servlet API 2.0
JSP spec 1.0 requires servlet API 2.1

So in order to use the lastest version of the JSP (the 1.0) you must use a
Web server that support servlet API 2.1 (for example Apache + Apache Jserv
support Servlet API 2.0 not 2.1 so in order to use JSP you'll want to use
GNUJSP instead of SUN's JSP)

All URL for mentionned software can be found on several web sites included
mine (http://www.interpasnet.com/JSS)

Hope this helps

Le 11:00 30/06/99 +0000, Elena Palanca a écrit:
>Hi,
>maybe this is a stupid question but I'm quite confusing about the
>existing  products supporting Servlet/JSP.
>The question is:
>excluding Java Web Server, are there other Web Servers directly
>supporting the servlet engine ( and JSP) without using an extension
>server as JRun, WebSphere etc..?
>Thanks in advance
>Elena

Luc Saint-Elie
Directeur Marketing et Développement
PICTORIS INTERACTIVE
62, rue d'Hauteville - 75010 Paris
Tel : 01 48 24 97 43 - Fax : 01 48 24 00 68
http://www.pictoris-interactive.fr