Sounds like your CLASSPATH may not be set properly.  Controll this in
startserver(.bat).
Mine is set to

CLASSPATH=
C:\jdk1.2.1\lib\tools.jar;C:\jdk1.2.1\jswdk-1.0-ea\webserver.jar;C:\jdk1.2.1\jswdk-1.0-ea\lib\servlet.jar;C:\jdk1.2.1\jswdk-1.0-ea\lib\jspengine.jar;C:\jdk1.2.1\jswdk-1.0-ea\lib\jsp.jar;C:\jdk1.2.1\jswdk-1.0-ea\examples\WEB-INF\jsp\beans;C:\jdk1.2.1\jswdk-1.0-ea\classes;.

and everything works fine.  Make sure the path where you installed the JDK matches
the
classpath environment variable.

Eric Johannsen