Playing devil's advocate:

How much of this decision is based on perceived best
practices or preferred coding methodology?  As the
language matures, would making a decision at this
level have to be "undone" later if advancements were
made in db connectivity?

Not picking a fight, just trying to look at it from
the other side of the moon.