IIS suffers the same problem in that the Session
object has machine affinity.  The only way to have a
machine-independent Session object in the IIS world is
to buy Site Server.

In a servlet environment, I suspect you would have to
write your own machine-independent session
implementation, so that whatever machine the visitor
hits can query the URL or a cookie to get the session
or user ID and then query your server-side session
store that resides on some central server.  Additional
considerations would definitely be to make sure to
purge stale sessions from your central store (unless
you want to provide cross-visit sessions), and to have
a second web server to allow a user in automatically
after the visitor has authenticated with the first.

--Matthew

--- Richard Mazzaferri