I'm just starting with JSP, and am not a very exprerienced Java programmer.  I
thought about ASP and Cold fusion, but decided upon Java because 1) it's based on
open standards, 2) it has a number of manifestations (JSP, Servlets, Beans,
Applets, etc...) which solve a wide range of business problems and 3) you only have
to learn one language.

That being said, let me caution you that modifying your server to run JSP is no
easy task under Windows, and even harder under Unix.  The problem isn't the
install, but understanding and implementing a correct configuration.  I have
installed both JRUN on IIS and JSserv on Linux Apache.

I don't know what your programming background is, but mines is basic/cobol/perl.
Java is not an easy language, and not having previous experience in object-oriented
programming has been a definate hinderance to my grasp of it.  It has also changed
a lot over the past two years, so much that most of the books I bought over 6
months ago (about 10) are pretty useless in terms of the examples -- they usually
contain some deprecated (no longer used) method or other.

Now, all that being said, I have just began completing my first JSP applications,
and let me say that all the pain and heartache and late nights have been worth it.
I am heavy into ODBC/JDBC apps, so I can confirm that JSP is definately an
alternative to ASP or Cold Fusion.  I think Java is an excellent platform for the
kind of Internet development we will all be doing over the next couple years or so.

Is it better than the alternatives?  I don't know.  All I can tell you is that I am
happy with the decision I made -- so far.

BTW, I am, contrary to the best programming methods, performing most of my DB tasks
from within the JSP.  I did this mostly out of ignorance rather than preference --
I copied the only examples I could find (and they are rare indeed).  As I evolve,
I'm sure I will move more towards keeping the presentation and business logic
components separate.

Good luck.

-ron

Koehler Ethan wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'm researching JSP's abilities relative to other languages such as ASP
> and ColdFusion.
>
> How easy is it for a JSP script to "directly" to query and update a
> database?  Most examples seem to require the development a custom Bean to
> execute the SQL then provide access to the results.
>
> Similarly, is it possible for a JSP script to handle form submission
> without the intervention of a custom Java Bean?
>
> Just curious - I'm very excited about the technology.  I'm hoping it can
> be suitable for people with less Java development experience than myself.
>
> Thanks !
>
> Ethan Koehler
> Java Programming Consultant
> Digital Visions, LLC