Or, check that your servlet engine is able to handle JSP1.0 ,
    I had a similar experience using JRun and it turned out that I had to alter a
property file to make sure that the JSP handler was the right one
specifically I had to change the

    *.jsp=jsp
entry in jrun/jsm-default/services/jseweb/properties/rules.properties
and in  jrun/jsm-default/services/jse/properties/rules.properties

    *.jsp=com.livesoftware.jsp.JSPServlet

ie com.livesoftware.jsp.JSPServlet handles JSP1.0
and jsp handles the earlier release of the JSP spec

Karl